Thursday, August 21, 2014

Easy Pizza Recipe - Gluten, Egg, Soy, Dairy and Nut Free

      Oh Pizza!  What would the world be without you?  This simple yet well loved concoction of dough, sauce and cheese has become a staple in almost every children's parties and school activities.  

      I can still remember my kids' reaction when I first told them about their food allergies. "No wheat and dairy!  That means we can't have pizza anymore?" "What will happen if there are parties?"

       Trying not to be defeated, I promised my children that we will make our own. I told them that I will look for recipes and they have to tell me which one is the best.  That conversation was about four years ago.  After countless testings and experiments, we were finally able to agree which one will be our favorite and reliable pizza recipe.

       For starters, making your own pizza isn't complicated at all.  After all, a pizza is just composed of these:
     
1.The Crust

     If you ask me what is the most important ingredient in a pizza, my answer will be hands down the Crust.  Whether you like it thin and crispy, thick and chewy, nothing turns me and my kids off a pie than a soggy or teeth breaking crust.  

    Over the years, I've tried quite a number of gluten free pizza dough mixes and even tried making some from scratch from the recipes I've seen online. Though my kids were happy to eat whatever I make, some crusts came out cracker like or worse, slimy in the middle.  Finally, we had our favorite which is King Arthur's Gluten Free Bread and Pizza mix.  Just follow the instructions on the side of the box to the tee.

      Here's the list of ingredients I used:
      1 box King Arthur Gluten Free Bread & Pizza Crust Mix
      1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
      4 Tbs. olive oil + additional 4 Tbs. of olive oil for pans and drizzle
      3 Tbs. ground flax seed
      9 Tbs. hot water

    Since we can't have eggs (the ingredient required on the box), I use flax goo (flax seed and water mentioned above) as the substitute. That's the brown flecks on the picture.  I like using flax because it adds extra protein and nutrients to my dough as well.

      Preparing the dough usually takes about a full hour.  That includes the proofing time. The good news is that,  once the crust was pre-baked (the first baking before you add the toppings), it can be frozen for future use.  Oh before I forget, one box of King Arthur's GF Pizza mix will give you enough for two thin pie crusts.


         Here's what the dough looks like after mixing.  It puffs up a bit after the resting period.     



2. The Sauce

        This is one of the easiest part.  I don't need to complicate things by looking for a gluten, soy, dairy, egg and nut free pizza sauce.  Your favorite Marinara sauce works well.  I often have homemade ones in the freezer but I also stock up.  Our go to brands are Wegman's Organic Marinara and Simply Nature from Aldi's.  

3. The Cheese

         One of the trickiest as nothing beats the flavor of the regular dairy ones.  After so much trials and errors, I found out that the Daiya one works best.  To achieve that complex flavor, I would use  three varieties.  Usually, it's the Mozzarella, Jack and Cheddar.  A little goes a long way so there's no need to panic and finish 3 packages for 1 or 2 pies.  




4. The Toppings

      From grilled chicken to canned pineapples, our choices for toppings are endless. If we are having pizza at home, we tend to get more creative.  Oftentimes, we use all the leftovers in the fridge.  For school parties, we usually stick to the basics.  Some of the kids' favorite includes Applegate Farms Salami or Pepperoni and Wegman's Organic Turkey or Ham. 

        
        So, that's my easy recipe.  As long as you got the pantry ingredients and the pre-baked crust on hand, whipping up a pizza for a party or school activity is a breeze.  I hope you will find this handy as the kids go back to school.  

 - Roz       
           

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...