Monday, August 25, 2014

Gluten Free English Muffins using Aldi's GF Flour Mix

     As you may have figured out already by now, I'm not a big fan of Gluten Free baking flour mixes. During my early days of food allergy living, most of those box mixes had caused me so much meltdown episodes (you can check my earlier posts) that I thought I'll end up in a rehab or mental facility.  I'm not kidding and exaggerating! For those who need to bake gluten, dairy, egg, nut and soy free, I'm sure you can totally understand.  

     After hundreds of dollars spent trying out mixes and to save my sanity, I finally decided to just start my flour collection and experiment in my kitchen which the kids eventually began calling "The Lab".  I found that a lot better since I don't have to compare the end result to the one beautifully pictured on the boxes.  Plus, I now know where to buy these gluten free flour at a bargain.  

     Once in a while though, I can't help but challenge myself to press my luck on baking with pre made Gluten free mixes especially if it's a newly introduced product. As long as the ingredient list agrees with our dietary requirements, I'm now glad to test a product.  Even if the instructions clearly state eggs or dairy, I would readily attempt to use my dairy and egg substitutes.  

      Earlier this year, Aldi has launched a gluten free line called Live GFree.  With all the buzz that hit the GF community, I got really curious.  Though not all of the products in that line are Top 8 free, there were some that our family can have (egg, dairy, nut & soy free too).  One of those I've tried is this Gluten Free Baking Mix.



       Though there are recipes found on the back of the box, I'm sorry to inform you that after several attempts, I was not able to successfully achieve great results.  I think the main reason for that is my inability to use real eggs.  By now, I already accepted the fact that in gluten and egg free baking, one can't just use substitutes and expect the same outcome. More often, the original recipe has to be altered.  

       This English muffin recipe is something I call excellent mistake. At first, I was hoping to make a shortbread or biscuit.  Turned out, I got something better.  

Ingredients:

2 cups Aldi's Gluten Free Baking Mix
3 Tbs. ground flaxseed
9 Tbs. hot water
1/3 cup Spectrum shortening or Earth Balance Soy free Buttery Spread (room temperature)
1 Tbs. melted Earth Balance Buttery Spread
2/3 cup non dairy milk (I use flax milk)
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
2. Mix the apple cider vinegar in the non dairy milk to make a non dairy "buttermilk".  Let it stand for 5 minutes before using.
3. Combine the flax and hot water to make flax goo. Wait for 5 minutes before using.
4. Using a big fork or 2 butter knives, cut the shortening into the mix until it has a sand like consistency.
5. Slowly whisk in the flax goo and "buttermilk" to the flour and shortening mix.
6. Form about 1/4 cup of batter into balls.
7. Arrange the dough balls on the prepared baking sheet.
8. With the bottom of a mug or glass, flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.
9. Brush with melted buttery spread.
10. Bake in the oven for 13-16 minutes.
     




      Tada!  Here's the end product.  As you can see, it has all the nooks and crannies a good English muffin has. Since the taste is very neutral, it works well with both savory and sweet fillings. The kids enjoy it as a sandwich bun too.  



      Have you ever had a recipe that didn't turn out the way you wanted and created something way better instead?  Love to hear your story too.

       Enjoy the week.

- Roz

1 comment:

  1. I was excited to find this page. I want
    to to thank you for your time for this particularly wonderful
    read!! I definitely liked every bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to see new information in your web site.


    My homepage - beautemer eye cream

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...