Thursday, October 3, 2013

Gluten Free Vegan Carrot Cake Mini Donuts

          Ah Donuts! I can't believe how obsessed I have become after purchasing that cute Babycakes Mini Doughnut Maker which my children saw on sale about a year ago.  I can still clearly remember that day.  It was a few weeks after Child #3 was diagnosed with food allergies and our home has to be clear of wheat, dairy, egg, soy, nuts and peanuts.  While grocery shopping, the kiddos gang up on me and sweetly justified why we need another kitchen gadget.
 
           Since I haven't made any doughnuts before, I'm a bit hesitant.  Their positivity, however,  about being able to eat their favorite treat again, made me gave in.   Boy! I'm so glad I listened to them.
 
            Maybe you're wondering why I am so passionate with donuts all of a sudden. Here are the top five reasons.
              1. The mini donuts are portioned and portable.  I can always throw some in the lunch box.
              2. Making my own donuts allows me to add healthier ingredients.  Sneaky way of giving more fruits and vegetables to the kids.
              3. It's baked which means less oil and calories.
              4. Since I make them food allergy friendly, my children don't feel left out or very restricted.
              5. The kiddos just love them! 

           When I was young, I am not a huge fan of carrots.  Everything changed when I had my first slice of the carrot cake from a newly opened bakery near our home.  If something made from carrots can taste as heavenly as that, then vegetables aren't that bad at all.   
 
             This recipe was reminiscent of that feeling.  These doughnuts which are loaded with carrots are a delectable treat without the big guilt.  I often leave it unfrosted to avoid extra sugar and make it school snack friendly.  Dusting it with confectioner's sugar at the end, makes it a pretty dessert too.
 
              Are you craving now?  Me too.  I think it's time to make another batch just for me. Want to give this a try? What are you waiting for?  If you need any help, just let me know.
 
- Roz
 
            



Ingredients:

2 Tbs. flax meal
6 Tbs. lukewarm water
3/4 cup sugar (I used Wholesome Organic Sugar )
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tsp. molasses (you can also use maple syrup)
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional) This will is just for dusting after the donuts are done.

1. Preheat an electric donut maker. 
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water to make a flax goo.  Set aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
2. Whisk together all the dry ingredients.  Set aside.
3. With the help of an electric mixer, cream the oil and sugar until it is light in color. 
4. Add the flax goo and molasses.
5. Slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Don't over mix.
6. Fold in the carrots. 
7. Drop about 2 Tbs. of the batter on the donut maker crevices.  Bake for 7-8 minutes.
8. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...