Monday, July 15, 2013

Snickerdoodle Mini Donuts - Vegan, Gluten and Soy Free too

       Last Saturday, my girls celebrated their birthdays with a joint pool party.  It was their first time to have a party after the food allergy diagnosis.  I tried to make it as simple as possible by ordering Gluten free Dominos Pizza for my kiddos and regular pizza for guests.  Sneaky right? Then I made Double Chocolate S'mores Cupcakes (Sorry everything just flew like crazy before I got to take some pictures.), allergy safe chips, limeade and these Snickerdoodle Mini Donuts. 
 
 
 
         I always love to entertain.  Not only for the company but to test my recipes.  I'm lucky I have awesome people who are willing to try anything that comes out of my kitchen.  Anyway, I'm a little nervous this time because the young guests ages 8 - 10 aren't familiar or have never even tried any gluten free and vegan baked good.  Knowing them, it is a matter of either they eat or doesn't touch the food at all. 
 
         To my surprise, these donuts were a big hit.  I brought 4 dozen (2 batches of this recipe) for the 15 guests including a couple of moms.  Everyone enjoyed it and were even asking for more.  The moms couldn't believe that the donuts are indeed vegan and gluten, nut, peanut, soy free.   With so much rave, I'm not confident to share with your the recipe. 
 
         Without further intro, here's the recipe you have been waiting for. Warning! These are highly addictive so count as you pop.  :)
 
- Roz
 


Ingredients:

1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup sorghum flour
3/4 cup rice flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt (finely ground)
2/3 cup organic cane sugar (regular white sugar will also work)
1/4 cup coconut oil (sunflower oil will also do)
1/2 cup flax milk (rice, almond or refrigerated coconut milk)
1 Tbs. flax meal
3 Tbs. lukewarm water
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce

Topping:
1 Tbs. cane sugar (Turbinado sugar has bigger grains for more texture)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder

1. Preheat your mini donut maker.
2. Make a flax goo by combining flax meal and water in a small bowl.  Set aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
3. In a big bowl, whisk the potato and tapioca starch, rice flour, sorghum flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4. With an electric mixer or hand mixer, cream the oil, sugar, apple sauce and flax goo.
5. Once it's well incorporated, add the milk and vanilla.
6. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the dry ingredients. 
7. Pour about 2 tablespoons of the batter in the donut crevices. 
8. Bake for 5-6 minutes.
9. Combine the sugar and cinnamon topping.
10. Once the donuts are done, immediately dip in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  If most topping does not stick, let the donuts cool for about 2 minutes and lightly brush with non dairy milk before dipping in the topping mixture.
11. Enjoy!      
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These look so delicious! I'm trying them tomorrow (: The only gluten-free flours I have are almond, coconut, and oat flour. Would I be able to use any of these instead of the sorghum and rice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey, you can use 1 cup of oat flour in place of both rice and sorghum flours needed in the recipe. It will have the same texture. Regarding the taste, it will have a slight flavor difference because of the oats. Still good though.

      Let me know how you liked it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...