Thursday, April 24, 2014

Food Allergy Friendly Snack: Chow Chow Recipe

       Have you ever been in this scenario?  Your children have begged you for days or weeks to buy  a certain brand of cereal.  Then when you finally gave in and bought a box or two, each would excitedly eat about a cup.  After that initial tasting, the coveted product will find its way in the cupboard where it will join the rest of  the half finished containers of cereals.   

      I confess,  no matter how I try to be strict about this issue,  I always end up with a collection of cereal containers.  Though many would tell me, if nobody wants to eat it, just get rid of it.  The frugal in me often prevails.  How can I possible throw away food especially if I know that it is still good? Don't forget too that we are buying food allergy friendly and organic as possible.  So, those are prime commodities baby! 

       Before the food allergies, whenever I have the urge to clean the pantry,  I often crush those unwanted cereal into tiny pieces.  Depending on the kind, I add some to cookie batters, use it as muffin toppings and even crust chicken tenders with it. Since I started buying the more expensive types of cereal, I realized that I don't even have the courage to break those crunchy stuff into smaller pieces.  

       One day, while trying to bribe my Child #1 to eat some of these "forgotten" cereals, she asked me why I'm not making Chow Chow anymore.   It was one of her favorite snacks when she was younger. Also, the primary reason that kept her eczema from popping all over her body though.  

    Since I'm more confident now in making traditional recipes, allergy friendly, I immediately looked for my treasured recipe binder.  I know for a fact that the recipe isn't complicated.  Plus, I'm sure I have my reliable and tested product substitutes on hand.  Then the experiment began.

      To my surprise, the first try was a huge success.  Everybody not only gave the new Chow Chow recipe two but four thumbs up each.  Can you guess where they got the other two thumbs?  Anyway, this treat has become a staple in our monthly menu.  The new challenge for me is to make a batch last for at least 3 days.  

      How about you?  What do you usually do with those half eaten open bags of cereal?  Do you have any interesting recipes you would like to share?  I love to hear from you.  

- Roz






Ingredients:

     9 cups cereal (gluten free of course!)
     1 cup semi sweet chocolate morsels (I used Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips)
     1/2 cup Peanut free butter (I use No Nuts Golden Peabutter )
     1/4 cup non dairy butter substitute
     2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
     1 tsp. vanilla extract


1. Put the powdered sugar in a gallon size ziploc bag.  Set aside.
2. In the big microwavable bowl, combine chocolate, peanut butter substitute, non dairy butter and vanilla.
3. Heat the bowl in the microwave just until the chocolate chips are melted.  It usually takes about 40 seconds on high.
4.  Mix until well combined.
5.  Add the cereal and mix until the everything is coated with the chocolate mixture.
6. Immediately put the cereal mix in the bag with the powdered sugar.  Close and shake until the cereal is coated.
7. Pour the mixture on a flat tray and let it cool.
8. Transfer into containers with lid and store in the refrigerator.
9. Serve cold or at room temperature.

( I am a member of Amazon's affiliate program and the links I've included in this post will direct you to that site.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...