Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Can't Get Enough Pumpkin Oat Muffins

      Ah, it's that time of the year again.  Orange is definitely the new black!  Okay people I'm not referring to the show.  In fact, I've never seen it at all even though we have a Netflix subscription.

       What I'm talking about here is the wonderful vegetable called pumpkin.  From coffee to soups to decorations, this fall must have is definitely all over the place. I don't know about your kids but in our home, pumpkin has taken over the top spot from chocolate.  Is that even possible? Looks like it.
   
      With so many asking for pumpkin recipes, I decided to share with you my secret Pumpkin Oat muffin recipe.  (I hope you all can keep a secret.) You will notice that it only requires one cup of pumpkin puree. I know what you're thinking.  What to do with the leftover puree?  Don't worry I assure you, one batch or even two will enough for everyone. My kids are devouring it like crazy.  I barely can keep up with the baking!

         Guess what?  Even my kids' friends who don't have food allergies love it. Give this gluten free, vegan treat a try this holiday season.  I'm sure your non food allergy friends and family will enjoy it too.


- Roz


Ingredients:

1 cup oat flour (I make my own using Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats)
1/2 cup rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt (finely ground)
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1/4 cup oil (I used Organic Virgin Coconut Oil )
2 Tbs. flax meal
6 Tbs. lukewarm water
1 cup sugar (I used Organic Coconut Sugar )
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup non dairy milk (I used flax milk.  You can also use coconut or rice milk)
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line standard muffin tins with paper liners or grease with oil.
2. Prepare flax goo by combining the flax meal and water.  Set it aside for at least 5 minutes before using.
3. In a small bowl, make "buttermilk" by adding the vinegar to the non dairy milk. Mix and set aside.
4. Except for the sugar, whisk all the dry ingredients. 
5. With the mixer running, cream the oil and sugar.
6. Add the flax good and pumpkin puree.  Mix well.
7. In 3 batches, alternately add the dry ingredients and non dairy "buttermilk" to the pumpkin mix.
8. Scoop into prepared muffin pan.  Make sure each cavity is only 2/3 full.
9. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Use the toothpick test --- the toothpick comes out clean.
10. Let it cool in the muffin tins for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling wire rack.
11. Top with powdered sugar for a festive look.

Makes about 18 standard sized muffins.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...