Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Food Allergy Friendly Vegan Creamy Chocolate Frosting

       So, what is the most important part of the cake?  For most people especially my kids, it's the icing or frosting! In fact, given a choice, they will just eat the frosting and leave the cake naked! 

       On my part though, I am not a big icing eater.  I like the cake part more.  That is why taste is really important.  If I ever eat some frosting, I am quite the picky type too.  It should be not too sweet, creamy and loaded with flavor too.  Come on, if I'm going to indulge, it should be worth all the calories right?

        Here's my take on a creamy chocolate frosting.  You'll notice that I did add a pinch of salt in it.  It's a trick I learned from my teacher in one of those cake decorating classes. Since butter is out of our diet, I used oil. Since I added some fresh apple sauce, I am happy to give this treat to the kiddos.  Hey, it's still fruit!

       Without much more intro, here's the recipe for the yummy food allergy friendly chocolate frosting.  Give it a try and please let me know if you love it too.

        Enjoy!

- Roz    




Ingredients:

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil (you can also use grape seed or canola oil)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 tsp. sea salt (finely ground)
3-6 Tbs. coconut milk (you can also use almond, rice or flax milk)

1. In a big bowl, combine cocoa powder, powdered sugar, apple sauce and sea salt. 
2. Slowly whisk in vanilla and coconut oil.
3. Add 3 Tbs. milk and beat until creamy (about 3 minutes). To incorporate more air and make a lighter frosting, I suggest you use an electric mixer.
4. If the frosting is a bit stiff, add a tablespoon of milk at a time until you reach your preferred consistency. 
5. Use immediately. 

* Refrigerate frosted cupcakes.  High heat will make it loose its consistency.  You can make it fluffier by putting the prepared frosting in the refrigerator for 30 - 40 minutes and whipping it before using.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...