Friday, March 15, 2013

Mussels in Coconut Lime Broth

        What an exciting week it was!  Just two days ago, I was one of the thousands who were glued to their televisions once the white smoke came out of Sistine Chapel.  Excited to witness another piece of history, I patiently waited for the new Pope to come out of the balcony from 2:05 -2:55 pm.  Guess what?  Nobody came out. 
 
         Since I have some chauffer duties to do, I rushed to the car and hurriedly picked up the children from school.  Deep inside, I'm hoping the Pope will not make his grand entrance during my 15 minute absence. When I saw the kids,  I even told them that the first one home will get a treat.  The little trick paid off.  They were in and out of the car in no time. 
 
        As I was closing the front door, I heard the kids screaming.  "Hurry Nanay, the new Pope  came out of the balcony!"  Just my luck!  I was 5 seconds late for the big reveal.  Bummer!!!
 
        Speaking of luck, this weekend is St. Patrick's Day.  Though we don't have any trace of Irish blood in our family (as far as I know),  we also like to celebrate the occasion by having "Green foods" with the traditional Beef, Potatoes and Cabbage. 
 
        One of our family's favorite Green foods is this Mussels in Coconut Lime Broth.  Though the kids are not big mussels eaters, they love soaking their steamed rice with the light, creamy broth.  That leaves me and my husband more mussels to enjoy with wine or beer. Yum!
 
         What I love the most about this simply dish aside from the taste, is its versatility.  Depending on how you serve it, this easy to prepare recipe is perfect for entertaining.  As a cocktail dish, arrange the mussels in a platter and use the broth as a sauce. Just like the one on the photo below.  A few pieces of mussels in a bowl with more broth and a piece of toast, you have a nice soup.  For an elegant looking main dish, serve it with steamed rice and vegetables.  
 
        Am I making you hungry?  Here's the recipe for this 30 minute wonder. 
 
        Time to enjoy Happy Hour!
 
- Roz
 

Ingredients:

2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1 small onion chopped
2 inch cube fresh ginger sliced into strips
2 cans 14 oz. coconut milk
1 cup water
3 lbs. mussels
2 Tbs. fish sauce
1/2 tsp. chili flakes (you can add more if you like)
1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
1/3 cup fresh lime juice

1. Preheat a big Dutch over or pan. 
2. Sautee garlic, onions and ginger in olive oil for about 3-4 minutes.  Make sure you don't burn it.
3. Add the coconut milk, water, fish sauce and black pepper.  Bring to boil.
4. Once boiling, add the mussels and lower the heat.  Simmer until the shells open.  Do not over cook.
5. Stir in the cilantro, chili flakes and lime juice.  Turn off heat and serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...