Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sneaky Spinach Dip - Dairy Free

        Super Bowl is just a few days away and most of us are now busy preparing for THE Big Game.  Though this Sunday, is considered one of the biggest calorie loaded feast in American calendar, I know most of the ladies and some men out there would like to enjoy something a little healthier in the menu. After all, it's only been a month since we promised to lose some weight right?
 
        So, how can we entertain and feel better at the same time?  I think this easy recipe for a Spinach Dip will be handy.  By sneaking in healthier alternatives and keeping the yumminess, I'm pretty sure the guys wouldn't notice any difference at all.
 
         When I first created this recipe, counting calories is not even my intention.  My children were diagnosed with food allergies a few months ago and I was challenged to re-create the dishes my kids love without having gluten, dairy, egg, soy and even nuts.   If cooking without those ingredients isn't hard enough, how about getting the same taste and flavor the kids were so used to. 
 
          After a few trial and error, I am confident that this version of Spinach Dip is the closest to the real one.  It has passed the four children taste test with flying colors.  As what my eldest would say, "It's okay to double dip as long as no body sees it."   
 
      
 
 
Ingredients:
 
10 oz frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
1 15 oz can cannelli beans
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp rice vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
 
1. Rinse the beans in running water and drain.
2. Using a blender or food processor, puree the beans, half of the spinach, salt, pepper, garlic powder and rice vinegar.
3. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle the olive oil. 
4. Add the remaining spinach and pulse a few times until you get your desired consistensy for the dip and size of the spinach.  If you find the dip too thick, thin it up with adding a teaspoon of olive oil at a time. 
5. Transfer to a microwavable bowl and heat it up for about 1 - 2 minutes on high. 
6. Serve hot.
 
* If you like to have that gooey goodness and extra yummies, mix in 1/2 cup of shredded Daiya Jack Style cheese substitute before heating. 
 
* If your diet allows you to have regular cheese, feel free to add your favorite mozzarella and pepper jack cheese before heating.
 
Enjoy!
 
-Roz
 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Now you have my wheels turning. What you've done, essentially is turn this into a spinach hummus-type dish by using beans, but I wonder how it would taste by using avocado instead of beans. I bet it would eliminate some of the olive oil.

    Regardless, it sounds super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avocado sounds great! I didn't put any because kiddos are not a fan of it except for ice cream. I'll experiment on it soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi there! This post could not be written much better!

    Reading through this post reminds me of my previous
    roommate! He always kept talking about this.
    I'll send this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a very good read. Thanks for sharing!

    my webpage ... cheap instagram likes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...