Friday, October 26, 2012

Our First Trick or Treating with Food Allergies

      It's that time of the year.  Both children and adults' minds are occupied with just two things --- costumes and candies!  (Hurricane Sandy is slowly getting some attention here in the tri-state though). Anyway, as a mom with kids who have food allergies, I know that it can be a stressful, VERY stressful time.
      Since this is our first trick or treating with food restrictions, I decided to make a deal with my children.  We will still go out in our costumes and gather some sweets.  Just like the previous years, they still have to give me all the candies to check out before they can eat any. Once sorted, they will get to keep those that do not contain ingredients they are allergic to. As for the rest, we will all donate it to my son's past pre-school which in turn will send it as part of the care packages for our troops abroad. 
        Did they like the idea? Oh yes!  They are even more excited because they are doing something for a good cause.  Since I am pretty sure that might they will only get to keep about 10% of their hard earned goods, I also started to prepare. 
         After a lot of label reading, I was so surprise to find these treats at the local Home Goods store.  Organic candies and lollipops from Yummy Earth. These candies are all gluten, egg, dairy, nut and soy free. They even use natural food coloring from carrots, beets etc.  A real treat and yes, they do taste great.  Other health food stores carry them too but I suggest get these at Home Goods.  Why? Well they cost a lot cheaper.  As in 30 to 40 percent off the retail price.    






      So, are you trick or treating this year too?


-Roz

2 comments:

  1. I love your creative mind, Roz!

    A few years ago, friend's solution was simply to allow the kids to Trick-or-Treat so they still got to do it, then to throw out the treats and either make or buy their own. Your way is less wasteful and allows for a terrific example of giving.

    As I am not a parent, her revelation led me to stop buying edible treats to hand out. I now find fun things like stickers and school supplies with Halloween or fall themes so that my treats don't necessarily go into the trash. Oriental Trading Company is great for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 4 trick or treaters and very generous community. Can you imagine who much candies we have after 1 hour?

      The nonfood treats is an excellent idea too. We have a couple of families who prepare "goodie bags" for the kids. We also have a favorite neigbor who gives a dollar instead of candies. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...