Friday, September 14, 2012

Our First Week without Gluten, Egg, Soy, Dairy, Nuts and Peanuts Menu

       It's Friday and we made it!  First week of school and yes seven days of living allergy friendly.  Guess what?  It was not as bad as I thought it would be. The kids ate without any complains on what's on the table.  They even enjoyed their food as if nothing has changed.
       I know most of you are curious. Our household is now wheat, soy, dairy and egg free. So, what then did we eat? Actually, we did quite well. Here is a peek of our menu this week:

Breakfast
* Sauteed Corned Beef with Oven Baked Breakfast Potatoes
* Pork Vigan Style Longanisa (Sausage) with Rice
* Bacon and Rice
* Pancakes

Dinner
* Pork, String Beans and Peppers in Coconut Stew
* Mung Beans with Spinach Stew
* Rice Noodles with Beef Ragu
* Chicken and Tomatoes Stew
* Chicken Wrapped in Pandan Leaves and Bagoong Rice

Lunch Box /Snacks
* Marinated Chicken Nuggets
* Popcorn
* Rice Cereal Treats
* Corn Tortilla Chips with Salsa
* Snickerdoodle Cookies
* Tuna and Rice
* Fruit  Cups

      Just like any child with food allergies, my school age kids brought their own snacks and lunch.  They either picked something from the breakfast or dinner menu and 1 or 2 from the snacks.  Plus something from the fresh fruit basket --- apples, bananas, kiwi, peach, watermelon. Seems like a lot of food? Well, I am not joking when I said that my family are good eaters.  Don't worry, I will be posting the recipes as we go. 
     It has been a crazy week.  I have never thought and studied food as much as I did during my catering days in Jersey City.  At the end of the day, all the effort was worth it.  For now, I will have my break from cooking --- leftovers for dinner. 
     
                                          Chicken Wrapped in Pandan with Bagoong Rice
                                                 (inspired by a recipe of FitChefTrina)
      

- Roz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...